Thursday, April 16, 2009

Keith Olbermann On Awful Obama Decision On Torture

I don't really get what President Barack Obama is thinking, but I am continuing to be disillusioned by some of his decisions.

The latest is his decision to not seek to prosecute those in the CIA who committed torture, because they were 'simply following orders.'

I have always been one of those extremely naive individuals that think that if you don't try and correct the sins and mistakes of the past, you are doomed to repeat them. Doesn't this set a precedent that it is okay to break the law, so long as somebody with authority gave you permission? Even if the punishment is merely probationary, we need to get at why this was allowed to occur. To tell the world what we did and then tell those that committed the torture that they are unconditionally excused, because they were obeying governmental orders, is unconscionable.

Which brings me to my next point, the one thing that Obama did do right today was to release the Bush administration memos that advocated for torture.

So, now we know the truth about what George Bush authorized as president. He will never live it down.

I am angry that anybody is getting let off the hook here. I will let Keith Olbermann take over with his 'special comment' from tonight's Countdown. He far more eloquently expresses the rage I feel inside.

Thank you Keith.

No comments: